As a part of Crystal Dynamics’ ongoing effort to encourage under-represented communities to join the game development industry, the company announced a charity drive in collaboration with Girls Make Games, celebrating 25 years of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft’s birthday.
Available exclusively from the Square Enix Store, gamers can purchase a complete set of 15 prints of reimagined Tomb Raider box art created by legendary artists from around the world for a limited time for only $49 (plus shipping and sales tax). All proceeds from the sale go to Girls Make Games, a program dedicated to inspiring the next generation of game designers, creators, and engineers.
Artists were chosen to ensure a diverse array of styles and were given full freedom to reimagine the series’ box art, resulting in Lara Croft portrayed in comic, anime, whimsical, realistic, and surrealistic styles.
Crystal Dynamics head of studio Scot Amos said, “No matter the genre or medium, as a pop-culture icon of 25 years, Lara Croft is instantly recognizable throughout this incredible art series. Girls Make Games is an amazing program and we are proud to partner together on this charity fundraiser. Our hope is that it will translate into hundreds of girls getting the chance to attend Girls Make Games summer camps, workshops, and other outreach activities.”
Among the accomplished and supremely talented crew of artists were Marvel Studios’ Visual Development Supervisor Andy Park, legendary Japanese artist, character designer, and illustrator Yoshitaka Amano, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, and Overwatch graphic novel artist Babs Tarr, and Crystal Dynamics’ own Art Director Brenoch Adams, who kicked off the initiative with his take on the original Tomb Raider’s box art and followed up with an original version of Tomb Raider: Anniversary. All 14 artists crafted unique takes on the box art for each game through their own lens, and the results have been nothing short of spectacular.
Participating artists include:
- Tomb Raider: Brenoch Adams
- Tomb Raider II: Babs Tarr
- Tomb Raider III: Paul Kwon
- Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation: Andy Park
- Tomb Raider: Chronicles: Megan Lara
- Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness: Stephanie Rew
- Tomb Raider: Legend: Nagu
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary: Brenoch Adams
- Tomb Raider: Underworld: Laura H. Rubin
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: Monster Draw
- Tomb Raider (2013): Yoshitaka Amano
- Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris: Adam Hughes
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Akihiko Yoshida
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Ross Tran/Ross Draws
- Tomb Raider: Reloaded: Melanie Herrmann