DreadXP has announced via the DreadXP 2021 Spooky Showcase that it’s putting the “love” back into “Lovecraftian horror” with indie developer Akabaka’s eldritch dating simulator Sucker for Love: First Date. Launching on Steam and Itch.io in December 2021, Sucker for Love: First Date tasks players with winning the affection of the girl of players literal dreams by invoking rituals inspired by the Cthulhu mythos. One could say that the fate of your soul is on the line in this quest for eternal and inescapable love.
Say hello to the girls of Sucker for Love: First Date! There’s Ln’eta, a cute Cthulhu-like entity that is an affectionate sweetheart with a jealous streak; Estir, the elegant self-proclaimed royalty loves the color yellow and the finer things in life; and last but not least, there’s Nyanlathotep, whom at first may be intimidating but has a certain je ne sais quoi that often leads to those around her being completely enraptured. There may be many fish in the sea, but the goddesses of the Necronomicon are sinfully sweet!
“Following the amazing reception to the original Sucker for Love concept featured in Dread X Collection 2, we knew we had something special on our hands. We’re delighted to work with developer Joseph Hunter of Akabaka on expanding Sucker for Love into a series of fun and bizarre games,” said DreadXP owner and producer Patrick Ewald.
“It’s amazing what Akabaka accomplished in just ten days with the original version of Sucker for Love. With additional time and DreadXP’s resources at his disposal, fans of visual novels and dating sims are in for a treat when the full game hits digital stores,” said DreadXP head of production Ted Hentschke.
Sucker for Love: First Date Key Features:
- Slide Into Her DMs (Daemoniac Manuscripts) — Thanks to the lovely pink Necronomicon you’ve found, you’ve been united with your very own blasphemous beauty. Sucker for Love: First Date features three dateable goddesses who are each fully-voiced and have unique game endings!
- Abnormal Desires — A healthy relationship relies on compromise, so live a little and try out some of your goddess’s fun rituals! Who knows what might happen next?
- Love Everlasting — Explore your budding romance across three chapters!
- Stylish Invocation — Enjoy the game’s charming visuals and music that are reminiscent of old-school anime and dating sims
- Let Your Guard Down — No horror elements or danger whatsoever. This is a dating game!
Based on the micro-game of the same name that was developed in just ten days for horror anthology Dread X Collection 2, Sucker for Love: First Date significantly expands upon the original concept. The game has been remade into a standalone title that cleverly re-imagines the visual novel genre through immersive gameplay mechanics, with each decision made significantly impacting how the game plays and the story unfolds. Sucker for Love: First Date kicks off the three-part Sucker for Love series each of which features unique protagonists and twists.
Sucker for Love: First Date launches on Steam and Itch.io for Windows PC in December 2021.